30 December 2010

Mantlescape #1

It's not every day that we can tackle a big DIY project like this.  If we're lucky, we might get the time and money to do one large project a month.  The other days are spent dreaming, making lists and moving around what you already have for instant change.  Today's change was obvious for me.  My mantle.

For the past 4 weeks, my mantle was decorated for Christmas, and Christmas ended yesterday in the Casa de la Transue.  Here is what I whipped together in literally 3 minutes.

My goal was to try to come up with something that could last me through the winter and create a smooth transition into a spring mantlescape.  After enjoying the White Christmas we had this year, I was inspired.  I gathered up white items from all over my house.  When placing them, I made sure that I varied the heights and textures of my items.

Look at the difference it makes when I put my tallest items at the ends of the mantle.
Now, it looks a little "matchy-matchy" with my larger items on the outside.  My poor, glass apothecary jar looks all alone out there since it is clear.  It just doesn't look grounded in the setting.

Now look when I change out the paper mache bird and the lotus flower.
Again, it looks too matchy with the birds equally flanking the wreath.  When decorating, you want to vary your heights and textures while tying them all together as a scene.  In this mantlescape, the color white works in tying everything together.  I even made sure to select books in colors that would work with this display.


In case you like something you see, I have created a source list for you.
  • Finials - Home Goods garden section (under $20.00 for the pair)
  • Lotus flower - Home Goods ($2.99, but needed to be sprayed white)
  • Owl - West Elm ($10.00 with free shipping)
  • Apothecary Jar - Thrift store on the square in Dahlonega, Ga ($6.00)
  • Books - off of my Black Mountain Furniture built-ins in my library
  • Paper Mache Bird - West Elm ($10.00 with free shipping)
  • Shutters - Thrift store on the square in Dahlonega, Ga ($20.00 for the pair).  Using shutters as decor was inspired by photos at The Nesting Place
  • Wreath - Crafted by Yours Truly (under $10.00 in supplies) after reading this blog at The Nesting Place.  That's right, people.  It is made from coffee filters.
Although it was sad to see Christmas go, it was so much fun to change up my house with a fresh, new mantlescape.  What fresh changes do you have planned for your house now that Christmas is over?


Linked with The Stories of A to Z and Funky Junk Interiors.

14 comments:

  1. H ~ I am loving this white theme and think that those shutters were one of the best purchases so far! I can't wait to see what the Spring holds for your mantle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the bird though! Even though mine were only a buck each yours is pretty cute! I might have to try and remake one like that with styrofoam balls.. :) I'll have to show it to you if I get it accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara - If you make one, I would love to see them. I also found a great tutorial for some cute birds.

    http://www.livinglifecreatively.com/2009/11/paper-and-fabric-birds-i-created-my.html

    We might get snowed in this weekend, so I am thinking some version of this craft might be my salvation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the fresh aspect. I also toned down my mantel with winter white and green. I'm dreaming of spring but grounded in winter. Love your little birdies - very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! That wreath is spectacular! I like how you've balanced it out perfectly. Faux snow works great if you need something for the "clear-ness" of your apothecary jar - I use it everywhere!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dining Delight - thank you! I have been staring at that glass for days. I DO want to put something in there! Great idea. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love the white theme and the apothecary jars are wonderful!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane - Thank you. You should have seen me in the thrift store when I stumbled across that jar...I hugged it... no lie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mantle looks beautiful, I love all the white. I saw that coffee filter wreath at the Nesting Place too, I had to make one!! I love it.
    I love your blog, and am your newest follower. Can't wait to see more projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks beautiful! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a gorgeous mantle. I love the simplicity of it...and all of the beautiful white.

    xoxo,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...and that little book page birdie is precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful!!! It is winter crafts and decor challenge this week at the CSI Project. Link up starting Wednesday. Love the wreath and the owl!!! I am so making that wreath soon!!
    You always have the best projects.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 123 hp com smart app direct connect to machine and Despite being colour enabled, if there should be an occurrence of the need of a high contrast print, it keeps away from the requirement for a shading cartridge. With each cartridge substitution, the print head likewise auto restores at no extra expense.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...