02 August 2011

College Dorm Room Decor

Last weekend, one of my former students and I held a marathon crafting night to get her all set up for college.  Together, we had collected many ideas...mostly from Pinterest.  After about 6 hours of cutting, gluing, painting and mod podging plus some enchiladas and brownies, we ended up with all of these awesome pieces:
She bought a light gray duvet cover from Ikea and chose these bright colors for accents.
This is an upholstered headboard for a twin bed that we made out of FOAMCORE, 1" foam that we doubled and batting.  We covered some buttons in a light cream and tufted the headboard.  This will work perfectly for her dorm room since she can't put any holes into the walls.  We just looped some ribbon on the back to make a hook to hang from command strips!
Amber also bought one of these $5.00 lamps from Wal-Mart.  We just took some extra fabric from the headboard and made some little rosettes with ribbon accents.
For some quick door decor, we mod podged this letter A with some scrapbook and tied a ribbon loop.
I got this bunk bed ladder at a garage sale for $1.00.  We sprayed it with spray paint and used the belt sander to rough it up a little.  Since she won't have a lot of floor space in her room, she plans to use this ladder to take advantage of some vertical space.  She will hang her purses, hats, scarves, throw blankets, etc on this ladder.

Inspired by this picture on Pinterest, we decided to make some cheap art with the toilet paper rolls I have been saving for the last few months.
Literally, we sprayed some flat canvases with spray paint or used some acrylic paints for a base color and glued contrasting painted toilet paper roll clippings to the canvas.  The designs are limitless!!  I love the girly flowers she went with.  That blue color with white flowers really made me want one of my own!  Hanging on a wall, it truly looks elegant.

It was a great night of collaborating with ideas and techniques.  I can't wait for her to get to college, set up and send me some pictures of everything together!

And wouldn't a slipcover for under $49.99 from UglySofa.com look great over a beat up couch in a dorm room!  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia is hosting a KILLER giveaway!  Check it out here!

What about you?  Did you live in a dorm room during college?  Remember your color scheme or decor?  I lived at home and commuted, so my high school bedroom followed me into college! 

Linking up to the Pinterest Challenge over at: Young House Love, Bower Power, Style By Emily Henderson, Making A House A Home


Heather

19 comments:

  1. LOVE these ideas! Sounds like an awesome girl night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet teacher you are :) Love everything you made together...esp that ladder! When I dormed my first year, I was a dance major so my half of the room was pink and ballet-themed :) I would do it totally different if I could go back and do it over again! Now I am a 3rd grade teacher turned SAHM :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love everything! The colors are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a productive night it turned out to be for the two of you. everything looks wonderful. The TP art would be just perfect for the dorm! Putting the flowers on the lamp was a great idea and the ladder is just so perfect. Do share the pics once the dorm is all set up. I soooo wanna see it!!

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas and colors! What fun to be doing this all yourself/herself. The headboard is awesome.
    I probably do not have to worry about college room decor, as I have 2 not-that-interested teen boys. :) Although my soon-to-be-junior, does talk non-stop about college...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great!

    The TP roll art is exactly what I wanted to do for the Pinterest challenge, but I hadn't planned ahead (and couldn't pee that much in a week). Now I'm saving up some rolls....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I am hosting my first Link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays. Would be glad to see you there :)

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is going to have the best dorm room on campus!! WTG Teach :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff! I love the ladder (great idea!), and the flowers on the lamp shade look awesome! I lived in a zebra print and pink decorated dorm room my freshman year of college. Ridiculously girly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! She will have one of the best decorated dorm rooms around. I love the ladder and the head board. So sweet of you to help her out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome.. Dorm room decor.. Truly awesome!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The college Dorm room décor is shown by you. Useful information

      Delete
  12. I love this brilliant idea of yours... I will definitely recommend this to my friends... Thank you so much for sharing this awesome design...

    bendigo student accommodation

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings! I knoω thiѕ іs kind of off topic
    but I ωаs wondeгіng which blog platform are
    уou using for thiѕ website? I'm getting tired of Wordpress because I've
    had іsѕuеs with hackегs and Ι'm looking at options for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Here is my webpage: Arjun Kanuri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I was really interested in the bunk bed ladder since I have one too. Picked it up somewhere intending to use it for decorating but could never think what finish/paint treatment to put on it. (Original is maple-icious: not interesting or rustic and very 60s, which I hate.) Loved the distressed aqua you chose and it looked quick and easy to do. Thanks for a great ladder makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the share! I really like that head board you got! I just got a new college bedding set and would love to get a matching head board to go with it. Any tips on how to make one? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lot of the information in this post has been very useful.Keep it up.Also visit CurtainsAndBlindsShop

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing a lot of useful information in this.Keep it up.Visit us
    home curtains

    ReplyDelete
  18. Transform your college dorm room into a stylish and cozy space with Argos Coupons! From trendy bedding sets to practical storage solutions, Agros offers everything you need to personalize your space without breaking the bank. With exclusive discounts, you can shop for decor essentials that reflect your personality and create a comfortable environment for studying and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...